- When drafting best business practices, policies regarding sales, finance and operations all come into play.
- Ensuring that knowledgeable people are conducting sales and estimating functions is essential.
- Written estimates, with terms clearly expressed, avoid future misunderstandings and negative word of mouth.
- Ensure that financial management and handling functions, including payroll, banking, insurance and taxes, are performed by professionals who continually upgrade skills and knowledge.
- Adhere to acceptable arboricultural practices and comply with appropriate associations and regulatory agencies.
- Facilitating the entire team’s professional certifications is a plus for any tree care company. The International Society of Arboriculture urges firms to avoid conflicts of interest and respect proprietary and sensitive information.
- The ISA suggests that arborists and tree care professionals recognize their limitations and decline work that is out of their expertise and experience levels—a quality referral makes a better lasting impression than a poorly executed job.
When all is said and done, a well-planned business practices philosophy can translate into bottom line success.