The ISA’s annual International Conference & Trade Show took place Aug. 8-12 at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center in Kissimmee, Florida.
Among the highlights from this year’s event:
- The ISA membership committee introduced a student ambassador program. The 2015 ambassadors: Francisco Javier Garcia, Caroline Rose Chomanics, Lucy Cohn-Still, Bobbie Fox.
- Spanish-language sessions were offered as well as simultaneous interpretations during select presentations.
- Lauren Lanphear, ISA awards committee president, recognized the 2015 True Professionals of Arboriculture during the opening general session.
- One of the new offerings at this year’s conference and trade show included additional CEU opportunities on the trade show floor – designated with “CEU Challenge” stations.
- The Davey Tree Expert company went social and raised $500 for the TREE Fund by donating $1 for every individual who stopped by the Davey booth to have his or her picture taken showing a favorite tree benefit – for example, heart health.
- The ISA also announced nine recipients for the 2015 Awards of Distinction (sponsored by Bartlett Tree Experts) and three recipients for the True Professionals of Arboriculture. Winners are selected by the ISA awards committee – a group of experts in arboriculture that includes university professors, retired arborists, owners of tree care companies and forestry managers – and are approved by ISA’s board of directors.
2015 ISA Award Winners
- Award of Merit: Daniele Zanzi (Varese, Italy)
- Alex L. Shigo Award for Excellence in Arboricultural Education: Dr. Nina Bassuk (Ithaca, New York)
- Award of Achievement: Richard Harper (Amherst, Massachusetts)
- Honorary Life Membership: Daniel Diodati (Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
- R.W. Harris Author’s Citation: Chris Luley (Naples, New York)
- L.C. Chadwick Award for Arboricultural Research: David Nowak (Syracuse, New York)
- Millard F. Blair Exceptional Contribution to Practical Arboriculture: Mark Bridge (Basel, Switzerland)
- Early-Career Scientist Award: Greg Dahl (Morgantown, West Virginia); Dr. Andrew Koeser (Apollo Beach, Florida)
- True Professionals of Arboriculture: James Allen (Santa Cruz, California); Paul Revell (Charlottesville, Virginia); Ernest Rezent (Makawao, Hawaii)
Next year’s annual International Conference & Trade Show takes place in Fort Worth, Texas, from Aug. 13-17. See you there!
COVER AND PHOTOS: INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF ARBORICULTURE